[Gimp-user] How can I select multiple layers easily? of putting a selection box around them, but that didn't work)

In Inkscape, you can select multiple objects by simply using the Select tool and putting a box around the objects.  I unwittingly did the same thing in Gimp. I chose the Select tool (R) and selected several images in one column. I thought, that I would see all the boxed-in layers selected for easy duplication, but nope.

So how can I quickly/easily select a box-full of layers at once, a la Inkscape?

Please see attachment.

Thank you.