Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp-2.8_Save and save as bad behavior

On Tuesday 14 August 2012 23:58:25 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 11:40 PM, maderios wrote:

> > Only "a native file format and a lossy file format" ?

> > Hum .... (in french, sorry)

> > Native for who ?

> 61 deleted messages later you finally started asking the right kind of

> questions :)

> As already explained on a frigging huge amount of occasions that you

> choose to ignore, GIMP is streamlined for people who work on complex

> multilayered compositions with masks and whatnot, where XCF is always

> saved, and files in delivery formats (e.g. PNG) are exported.

> Therefore the only native file format for GIMP is XCF. Period.

> Therefore GIMP always imports JPEG or PNG instead of just opening it. Full

> stop.

> I can see how using "Open" could be a bit confusing as it both opens

> (XCF) and imports (JPEG), but let's face it: this is not the reason

> Ken and you are arguing till you are blue in the face.

> > Ex Non lossy: png, tiff...

> Oh, but they are. They do not preserve masks, and, when saved form

> GIMP, TIFF does not preserve layers. It's lossy, no matter how much

> you want to argue.

> Please just use Krita.

> Alexandre Prokoudine

> http://libregraphicsworld.org

Or mtpaint.

--

Fortune cookie for Wednesday, August 15, 2012:

I went to my first computer conference at the New York Hilton about 20

years ago. When somebody there predicted the market for microprocessors

would eventually be in the millions, someone else said, "Where are they

all going to go? It's not like you need a computer in every doorknob!"

Years later, I went back to the same hotel. I noticed the room keys had

been replaced by electronic cards you slide into slots in the doors.

There was a computer in every doorknob.

-- Danny Hillis