Re: [Gimp-user] Extreme newby needs some help please!

First thing I wanna say is I support teachers. I had many teachers... most good... some not... My sons had teachers... dated a teacher... anyway, I know the life of a teacher and what they do. Not just government employees or civil servants, but community builders and more. Truly unsung heroes.

Anyway, that aside, let's talk about what you want to accomplish.

Firstly, there's a constantly accumulating pool of examples and tutorials out there. Find them and work through them. You will have ideas while you go through them so explore and learn. Get a feel for what's going on in there.

One of my favorite things to have learned about is layer masking. With layer masking, you can really get good effects with semi-transparency controlled through layer masking. And Layer masking is what your project wants the most.

First thing you need to do is add transparency to your layer. Do this by going to the layer menu, transparency and add alpha channel. Alpha is a fancy way of saying some pixels are more transparent than others. And layer masks let you control that transparency where black is 100% transparent and white is 100% opaque and the greys in between are levels of transparency.

So one thing I did was right-click on the layer and add layer mask... or you could use the menus.. same thing. It offers a dialog with options... I went with "Grayscale copy of layer" and checked the "invert mask" and "OK" You'll already have achieved the desired effect... (affect? are you an English teacher? I always get those confused...anyway... okay, it's effect... I think)

The effect isn't perfect though. If you add a layer and make it white, then drag that new white layer under (behind) the original layer and you will see a lighter colored version of your original image. It's the white showing through. You may want to tweak this a bit by right-clicking on your main layer and then selecting "show layer mask." Now you can see a black and white negative of your image. Now you can play with the brightness, contrast, and (my favorite) the levels. With the mask showing, you can tweak the lighter areas in a way that makes the sem-transparent with the white later beneath look like your original image.

Once achieved, you can do this to all of your letters in a repetitive fashion.

I got pretty good results... wanna see?