Re: [Gimp-user] Rotating Layers

I have confirmed your symptoms and also figured out how to resolve your problem.

When doing the "rotate tool" (I presume that's how you are rotating) there is a setting within that tool's configuration which enables the "Show image preview" and directly below that is a setting for "Image opacity." You can either disable the preview or leave it enabled and reduce the opacity at that time.

Why having a layer which is already set to less than 100% opacity switches to 100% opacity while the rotation is going on escapes me, but the effect is harmless. But perhaps it is because the opacity setting on a layer is an effect like masking which is kind of like meta data for the main graphical data. The rotate tool probably doesn't want to deal with both the later and its extra data at the same time.