Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP Site Redesign

On 10/29/2011 01:57 PM, Patrick Horgan wrote:
On 10/28/2011 01:58 PM, Kasim Ahmic wrote:
Hello! I've been using GIMP for some time now and have recently saw how much I dislike the GIMP website. So I've recently been working on a redesign.

I have the home page ready here: http://seasonoftreason.uphero.com/templates/
Looks dated, and uses tables for layout.  Something a little more professional might make a better impression for GIMP.  People who care about graphics care about layout elegance as well.

Looks decent to me.  I would use a CSS layout and declare a doctype (preferably xhtml 1.0 strict) for many reasons, but after all it's only a preliminary mockup.  The decorative landscape clip art is OK but something more specific to GIMP and/or image editing would be better.

I am always cautious about being too innovative - "looks dated" can also mean, the navigation and layout presents the user with no puzzles to solve.  That said, there's still lots of room to do visual stuff if/as inspiration strikes.

If people want a new site design, I am sure that there are plenty of web designers hanging around who would come out of the woodwork to present proposals if asked.  The "losers" in the competition would get a cool site design for their portfolio, the "winner(s)" would get a high page rank link back to the site of their choice.

:o)

Steve