Re: [Gimp-user] Crash

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011 14:34:11 +0100
Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <unhammer fsfe org> wrote:

Destiny Bottino <desbot24 yahoo com> writes:

Hello,
I was recently working on a big project of mine using GIMP. I had
spent 5 hours straight working on it, saving it every 5 minutes,
and then GIMP crashed and lost everything but a few layers. This
was not a saving issue because the layers that stayed were made at
completely different times. I lost pretty much all my work and I am
furious. I don't have time to do it all over again. I'm pretty sure
there is no way of bringing it back. GIMP is a wonderful drawing
program and I use it all the time, but this was just too overboard
for me. It crashes almost everytime I use it but all those other
times, everything was saved alright and everything was fine. This
time one of my best drawings was lost and there is no way of
bringing it back (trust me, I've tried everything). I am letting
you know because I don't want this to happen to anyone else and
(even though I am certain nothing can fix it) is there anyway to
bring my drawing back? I put my best work into it and it makes me
furious that its gone. Please, if anyone knows how to bring it
back, please help me. This drawing meant a lot to me.

You might want to upload the xcf somewhere if you want people to help
with trying to get it back.

Howver, being able to keep a few layers (as opposed to completely
losing the whole file) does sound very odd (your harddrive isn't
making strange ticking noises, is it?).

In any case, if you're getting a lot of crashes, do ensure you're
running the newest version (click Help___About, should say 2.6.11). You
might also want to invest in some more RAM (I've got 3GB, haven't had
a GIMP crash in over a year).

best regards,
-Kevin

Destiny, what OS are you running? What version of Gimp? How much
RAM? How old is your main hard disk drive? (I run two HDs, and
replace the oldest every 3 years or so.)
--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers:

"Create Book Covers with Scribus"