Re: [Gimp-user] opening CMYK psd

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:10:47 +0100
Tofi <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM, john Culleton
<john wexfordpress com> wrote:

If working with photographs, you should be converting to device
specific CMYK as late as possible in the process and keep things in
more device independent color spaces like RGB for as long as
possible. Similar to how you should not be saving intermediate
copies to very lossy JPG.

/

If working in advertising company, where most media are printed,
photographs have to fit in CMYK color range. RGB files are only
source images. Some works needs extra colors like CMYK+1, CMYK+2.
Problem is that Adobe divided it's suits pack's into web and printing
design, and GIMP is now pointing into photography, not into all
professionals needs. I would like to say my boss that there is open
source software that can be run into production process, with great
abilities, but since it can not make such simple thing like
multichannel or even CMYK editing I can not do it.

I use Gimp all the time to provide material for the final book cover or
interior. But the final assembly is done in Scribus. Scribus with a
good ICC profile will convert the RGB components to CMYK automatically.
The developmental version of Scribus, 1.5.0, will also convert to the
PDF X/1-a:2001 format required by LSI and other printers.

For years I have been asking the Gimp developers to make the CMYK
color model an option but apparently that is not a priority with them.
Apparently it would be a huge undertaking.

So other programs have to be used subsequently, such as Scribus,
ImageMagick or even a drawing program called Krita.

I note also that the Open Source tradition follows the Unix method of
several programs used in a string, rather than one mega-program that
does everything. So Gimp can do all the sophisticated editing and
something else can convert to CMYK. Ultimately the output PDF can be
viewed in Acrobat Reader. If color shifts are not acceptable Gimp can
be used to increase saturation etc. Then the conversion/production
cycle can be run again.

Photoshop does CMYK internally. Photoshop costs money. Gimp needs an
external program to produce the final file in CMYK. Both Gimp and the
external programs are free.

Make your choices based on cost/effectiveness.

In my business I use nothing but Open Source software, including TeX,
Gimp, Scribus and ImageMagick.

--
John Culleton
Free list of books for self-publishers: