Re: [Gimp-user] OT: Was: Gimp name-picking

On 12/29/2011 05:29 PM, peter kostov wrote:
+1

My +1 also,

and above is "just another reason" *not* to use html on an email list,
PLEASE.

+1 to leave it alone.

And guys, please try to think of the names in English like a person that doesn't speak English natively. I am sure many of you will realize how stupid and funny they sound. Every day I encounter new and new examples of this. I don't understand how you English speaking people perceive these names, but what the hell is "Adobe Photoshop"?! A shop for photographic stuff made of adobe?! Down the corner?! Stupid, yes? And funny.

So leave it alone. Somebody who feels his/her ego hurt by a software name should think that in some other language the same name maybe sounds totally different, should we inspect each end every language to find a neutral name? And should we let our ego be influenced by such things - no.

+1. Non-native English speakers are the majority of Gimp users. The top country for the Gimp-win installers on Sourceforge is.... Russia (25% of downloads); in the top 30 countries, there are 20 millions downloads from countries where English isn't the main language of people, and 5 millions from English-speaking countries (US/UK/OZ). The case of India (240K downloads) can be debated since English is one of its official languages, but IRL I deal with many people from there (outsourcing) and they know very little slang.