[Gimp-user] slow startup from too many plug-ins installed

Hello, all. I'm new to Gimp - running on Windows. I think I took the defaults on installation. My problem is slow startup - and I think the problem is the 170 modules I have in the plug-ins directory. I moved them all somewhere else, and Gimp started up really fast - but I could not, for example, even open a jpg image. I think the only option was a native Gimp file.

So - any suggestions on getting a more reasonable number of plug-ins? What's a good startup set? Or - is 170 normal, and I have some other problem that is making startup of these modules so slow?

Thanks.
Dan