Re: [Gimp-user] Scan

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:55:03 +0100
rich <forums gimpusers com> wrote:

Hi

How do I get Gimp 2.6.11 to work w/my SCSI scanner? I am
presently running Xubuntu 11.10 Live CD. CentOS 5 s
installed on my HDD. It's version of Gimp runs my SCSI
scanner.

Do I need to download XSANE?

FWIW: I do not think you will get it working from a live
CD.

First stop is to check the sane database

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=scsi&v=&p=

If your scanner is supported then you will need to
install xsane from your distribution repo.

Next step, Gimp needs a  xsane-gimp plugin.  Seems to be
one for CentOS, bound to be one for Ubuntu.

 http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/8078537/com/xsane-gimp-0.991-5.el5.i386.rpm.html

All being well, there is a menu entry in Gimp: 'File' ->
'Create' -> 'Xsane' which calls xsane for scanning and
passes the result back to Gimp.

--
rich (via gimpusers.com)