[Gimp-user] What happened to GIMP 2.6?

Hi all, I'm trying to switch from PC to iMac and having all sorts of trouble. Last night I downloaded a copy
of GIMP 2.6 and had it running on my iMac. It seemed to come with some other application called "X11" which I
can still see in Finder today but can't work out what it does. However I can't find any trace of GIMP 2.6.
Last night it appeared to be on a virtual external drive, from which I couldn't create a shortcut on the
desktop. Today it's vanished. Can anyone help me out here? Is there some part of the install that I've missed?