Re: [Gimp-user] Find/select by color

On 12/13/2011 10:20 PM, scott s. wrote:
GIMP 2.6.11

I need to be able to select region by color, but I want to be able
to specify the color RGB (for example, by setting the foreground
color). All I can find on the tool is to select by mouse/clicking
on image.  Is there any way to do this?  Couldn't find any likely
plug-in for it.

Desired behavior is
1.  Specify RGB in hex
2.  Activate tool/script
3.  All pixels in image with specified color are in selection
(with the various selection options and threshold/aa/transparency
options, though the options aren't mandatory).

This work around might do it for you:

1.  Duplicate the layer that has the region(s) you want to select.
2.  Use Colors > Color to Alpha, enter the RGB value you want to select.
3.  In the layers dialog, do Alpha to Selection on your duplicate layer.
4.  Discard the duplicate layer.

This would have the same effect as using the "select by color" tool
in the main toolbox and just clicking on any region that is the
color you want - only the "select by color" tool has more options
than the work-around and is way faster.  Another option would be to
make your desired color the foreground color, paint a small dot of
that color somewhere on the layer where it will be easy to remove
later, and use the "select by color" tool on the dot.

:o)

Steve