Re: [Gimp-gui] Swapping GUIs

Hi!

On 6/1/21 10:23 PM, Michal Vašut via gimp-gui-list wrote:
I would look here - https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp - Gimp source code

But even compiling and building this beast under windows is difficult task (I've personally failed)
I would not call "compiling GIMP" such a difficult task for a seasoned developer. GIMP has always been quite a model in terms of well known good practices and generic logics. 🙂

Now, Gimp UI is built using GTK (btw it means Gimp ToolKit), which (I would say) is deeply connected with program itself. But I can be wrong - it's currently upgraded from GTK2 to GTK3 so maybe devs have in mind that GTK4 is ready and Gimp could be upgraded again in near future and made it more layered (separated core x modules x gui). But that's better question for devs.

GIMP is already quite layered. If you look at app/core/, you have only core code (no include to GTK or other display code in there). Then you have a few other folders with graphics components. Still, all in all, it is obvious that GIMP is very graphical-interfacy since it's one of the main points of such an application (even though it can be — and is — also massively used as a script framework).

Now regarding the original question: