Re: [Gimp-gui] About the "floating selection"

On Tue, 2020-12-15 at 15:55 +0100, Jehan wrote:

Yeah basically we should really make the whole thing more
understandable! 🙂

The use cases for floating selections - live preview of masks, better
handled with multiple masks; pasting to a channel, where you could
first create a channel and then paste so maybe we need to improve
merging two channels - these seem to me fairly advanced uses.

So, what about
(1) make Paste as New Layer be the default behaviour, maybe even in
2.10
(2) add Paste As... New channel (and also add Merge down)
(3) retain paste as... floating selection

and for 3.0 remove floating selections? It's an opportunity to break
the API. Adding multiple masks could follow later; in the most common
case with only one"hole" in the mask you can get a similar effect to
"live preview" using the move tool, although it doesn't update while
you're dragging the mask.

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/
Barefoot Web-slave, antique illustrations:  http://www.fromoldbooks.org