Re: [Gimp-gui] About the "floating selection"

Hi!

On 12/6/20 10:27 PM, Ofnuts wrote:
Another use case not mentioned is pasting to a channel.

As you point out, the floating selection when pasting in layers is not
that useful these days.

However is you are creating a new layer directly you are not pasting to
a specific layer but to layers in general. But we can infer something
like the e position of that new layer in the layer stack/tree from the
target layer (should be used other clues like the size/position/mode of
that layer?)

Now when pasting to channels, with the current scheme you need a lot of
faith to understand that the thing you see in Layers will eventually be
added to a Channel when you anchor it. A bit the same for a mask. I
would suggest different visual clues:

Yes I would nearly call this a bug even. I tried just now, and the "Floating Selection" shows up in the layers dockable but when you anchor it, it happens in the channels dockable. This "Floating Selection" should obviously be in the Channels dockable. Also why can we only anchor it? Why couldn't we create a new channel out of a paste?

Though here, I can see of course the limits. For instance, if you have no channels first, you need to create one to be able to target the channel list. Also you might want to select the channel color (though this can be done afterwards). I'm not sure…

1. We call it "Paste layer", "Pasted channel", "Pasted mask" depending
on target

2. Even if it is displayed as a plain layer on the canvas, its
thumbnail/name appears in the proper list (as a mask of an empty layer
in the Layers list for a mask, as a Channel for a Channel). But of
course displaying it as its final form (ie altering a mask if it is
pasted to a mask) would be even better.

3. The target object (Layer/Mask/Channel) get some kind of visual
indicator that it the Chosen One (because in the process, we can lose
track of that)

Yeah basically we should really make the whole thing more understandable! 🙂

Jehan