Re: [Gimp-gui] User Testing Report

It's exactly as you said. Different tools are suitable for different situations.
It's nonsense to to even try to make selection of some complex things like branches, hair,... using path tool.
On the other hand it's quiet useful for some hard surfaces with simple structure (machinery, furniture, cups,...), toons, etc where other selection tools fails.

On Sun, May 12, 2019, 18:47 Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 05/12/2019 08:58 AM, Michal Vašut wrote:
> I am not sure if the Pen / Path tool, you are talking about is the tool
> wirh bezier curves, but if so, here is the uscase for creating selection
> (and its quiet obvious one) :

The pen/paths tool really is not an obvious "newbie choice" for making
selections, not when the first 7 tools in the toolbox all have the word
"select" in their names and their "on-hover" text. It's especially not
an obvious choice for making a rough selection around a stack of cups,
before desaturating the selected area, as per the very straightforward
task in Flynn's usability study.

Flynn Liu, did any of the participants in the study choose one of the 7
selection tools to make the rough selection around the cups? Or perhaps
you explicitly told the participants to draw a line around the cups
using the paths/pen tool because you wanted to see if they found the
paths tool difficult to locate and/or use?

> I am not sure if the Pen / Path tool, you are talking about is the tool
> wirh bezier curves, but if so, here is the uscase for creating selection
> (and its quiet obvious one) :

To clarify my terminology:

PhotoShop pen tool:
https://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/selections/pen-tool-selections/
- which per your comment is a tutorial on using the pen tool to make a
selection.

GIMP path tool: https://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-tool-path.html -
apparently it's actually called "paths" tool - my apologies, I never
noticed the "s".

> Imagine you have only mouse and need to create precise selection and
> straight lines - using laso tool is not enough (ie to create mask) - one

For many years I didn't have a tablet, only a mouse. On those rare
occasions when I wanted to trace around an object in a photograph to
make a selection, I made adequately precise selections using scissors
and free-select/lasso. Free-select/lasso can make selections as
absolutely precise as your patience with zooming in and adding points
allows. How does the Pen/Path tool allow to make a more precise selection?

Having read the PhotoShop tutorial, and making the perhaps risky
assumption that most of it also applies to GIMP paths tool, the
adjustability of paths around curves in an object during and after
making and saving the path does seem like it might be very useful. So
thanks! for prompting me to take a closer look at the paths tool.

In practice, usually my selections are based on luminance or color
information, which I'm guessing the paths/pen tools aren't designed to
make this sort of selection.

Usually when I make a selection, I immediately add it to a layer as a
mask - how is turning a selection into a mask any easier when using the
paths/pen tool?

I run into difficulties making selections of objects when working with
eg a landscape photo and wanting a selection that separates the sky from
fine branches on the horizon, or a photo of a person and wanting a
selection that separates wisps of hair from the background. Does the
paths/pen tool help with this sort of selection?

> Imagine you have only mouse and need to create precise selection and
> straight lines - using laso tool is not enough (ie to create mask) - one
> way is to create path around object and convert it to selection, it's also
> perfect way to store it for later use.

Selections can be stored as Channels. I don't see any advantage here,
unless maybe a stored path takes up less RAM, compared to a stored Channel?

Or perhaps the advantage is being able to pull those stored curves in
and out at the anchor points? I can see this being useful for painting,
and especially for creating cartoon/comic/manga-type art. I can see
advantages for graphic design. But for straight photographic editing, I
don't see the advantage. Though if there are advantages, please explain!

Anyway, thanks much! for prompting me to take a closer look at paths/pen
tool.

Best,
Elle