Re: [Gimp-gui] User Testing Report

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 5:01 PM Jehan wrote:

Anyway thanks for this report. It is interesting, though in the end I'm
not so sure what to conclude of it. Also the more it goes, the less I
believe that GIMP is a good candidate for user testing of the form "just
drop someone who knows nothing about image manipulation and expect this
person to do magic". GIMP is a complicated software, that's also because
it does very powerful things. I don't expect a complete beginner who
never read any documentation to be an expert in 1 hour. It just makes no
sense. This is the same for any software of the same category by the
way. So for instance in your user testing, I'd be more interested into
what A and B (the only 2 experienced people) would have to say.

Maybe a more interesting user testing with beginners should be done like
this: they first follow a short introduction/lesson to common and
limited set of features with examples of usage. Then they are asked to
do a given task with what they have learned and the tools they were just
explained. This would be much more interesting maybe.

I tend to disagree.

A common scenario is that a user installs software he/she sees for the
first time and tries to do something practical. If terminology is
overly complicated/nerdy, defaults are convoluted, and tools don't
work as expected (e.g. closing a path in GIMP doesn't work the same
way as in pretty much every other software, as was pointed out in the
report), chances are -- that user is lost to us. So we do need to know
how newbies see GIMP for the first time.

Blender did a fantastic job with 2.80 on defaults and accessibility of
tools. People who teach Blender say, on average, their students make a
lot more progress with 2.80 than with 2.79.

That said, I didn't understand most of the Flynn's report, because he
used alternative terminology and tried use cases that make no sense to
me. So, personally, while I appreciate the efforts, I think we'd get a
lot more from the study if we had an early preview of what was going
to happen and could provide some input.

Alex