Re: [Gimp-gui] GIH and GBR grayscale brushes as subset of RGB raster brush

Hi Jehan,

On 3/2/19 1:37 PM, Jehan wrote:
Not sure I understand your questions.

Grayscale brushes simply uses the foreground color (the brush pixels are used as a mask) whereas RGB brushes won't be affected by the foreground color. Most of the time, people want to make grayscale brushes, though RGB ones have their interest. I guess you could use them when you want to do more like some kind of images with fixed colors (typically the green pepper joke brush is RGB for instance).

There may be actual use cases, like the other day, someone wanted to make some brush with a fixed designs for image overlays. One possible workflow could be to just make it as a RGB brush to have easy access to it (of course other workflows could be to just keep the image in a handy place and import it as layer, or to script the overlay adding, or whatever else; no unique solution).

In the current GIMP version, perhaps since of 2.8, exists a hidden feature to ability to use, on-the-fly, the color background in the RGB brushes. If you enable 'Color' parameter on the paint dynamics is possible transform a RGB brush a simple grayscale brush. I am supposing that the paint dynamics is always enabled for any brush present on Tool Options settings... for instance, if we have a 'No Dynamics' enabled is saying only that the paint dynamics doesn't have any parameter enabled inner.

I have some ideas and considerations how to use this feature to simplify and apply the usage of RGB brushes, for instance: 1. Have on Tool Options the possibility to enable, via check button e.g., the color parameter a hidden paint dynamics... the hidden paint dynamics curves must be studied to use only the background color, for instance. 2. In this way, we can use a RGB brush also as graycale brush... without the necessity to create a dedicated set, for instance. 3. This approach could be interesting to simplify the brush set... where in future, we could be use only RGB brushes.

Thanks,
americo