Re: [Gimp-gui] GIH and GBR grayscale brushes as subset of RGB raster brush

Hello Americo,

On 2019-03-02 17:05, Americo Gobbo via gimp-gui-list wrote:
Hi! Someone can help me understand some aspects of brushes with RGB mode?

The raster brushes could be used with RGB mode, the stamp follows the
same pattern, quality and, color of original stain.
I have opened last year an issue on gitlab about them characteristics
that are very interesting:
https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues/1085

So, is possible to use a 'RGB brush' to emulate a normal grayscale
brush, enabling the color parameter on the paint dynamics. I am not
sure if this is a 'emerging feature' was thought as feature.
This method is interesting but doesn't preserving the qualities of the
original RGB brush (we have the same result of grayscale brush).

My questions are:
The grayscale could be considered a subset of RGB version? It seems yes.
Is possible to improve the characteristics, mainly the textures
qualities, of brushes using the RGB version of them?

Not sure I understand your questions.

Grayscale brushes simply uses the foreground color (the brush pixels are used as a mask) whereas RGB brushes won't be affected by the foreground color. Most of the time, people want to make grayscale brushes, though RGB ones have their interest. I guess you could use them when you want to do more like some kind of images with fixed colors (typically the green pepper joke brush is RGB for instance).

There may be actual use cases, like the other day, someone wanted to make some brush with a fixed designs for image overlays. One possible workflow could be to just make it as a RGB brush to have easy access to it (of course other workflows could be to just keep the image in a handy place and import it as layer, or to script the overlay adding, or whatever else; no unique solution).

Jehan

Thanks,
americo