Re: [Gimp-gui] The GUI for the Measure (and Straighten) Tool

Hi!

On 2019-02-22 01:16, Gary Curzi via gimp-gui-list wrote:
Using GIMP 2.10.8/Win7-32

The Measure tool now contains a "straighten" function, which is very
useful. I use it to rotate scanned photos so they are perpendicular to
the Image window.

But "straighten", which is a specialized type of Rotate, and "measure"
are two completely different types of functions. One provides
information about an image, the other transforms the image.

I used the straighten function the first time after I read the release
notes. The second time, it took it forever to find the straighten
functionality because it has nothing to do with "measure"--I was
looking in rotate tool.

It is true that naming and history of the tool don't make it obvious that this is now also a simplified transform tool. On the other hand, this was the closer tool both for existing similar GUI and for the analogy to physical world ("skeuomorphism"). For instance you usually check for something to be horizontal or vertical with these rulers with a level embedded in it. Same as in physical world, we usually use measure tools to actually modify the objects and artworks (not only to purely measure just for the sake of it).

On the other hand, the rotation tool, for instance, doesn't have a GUI which is in any way close to the expected interaction (trace a line, then make it horizontal/vertical). And even regarding analogy to physical world, people who basically use "Straighten" don't usually see it as a rotation (even though it is indeed just a rotation in the end), but really just fixing level imperfections after measuring.

Is there any thought to moving the Measure tool to the Transform Tools
submenu, renaming the Measure tool, incorporating the straighten
function into the Rotate tool, or splitting the functions of measure
and straighten into two separate tools? Or something else more
intuitive and findable?

Is it really so unintuitive? Or are you simply not used to the new feature yet? As said, I find such feature there quite intuitive, as well as how to use it.
So to answer, no, we haven't had any thoughts on changing this.

Also I am a bit reluctant to new tools for every new idea. We already have too many tools, some of them being probably nearly ever used. Of course, I would happily welcome a new tool for a completely new feature which really has no relationship with any of the existing tools. The measure tool, on the other hand, just for this one Straighten feature, I would be very wary to split it in its own tool.

Now we are very receptive to brand new ideas for improving interaction in GIMP. Maybe we completely missed a much better interface possible than the current one. And if so, and if someone decides to program this new idea, we would gladly accept the patch. Above, I was merely explaining the current logics, not saying we are not ok to change if contributors step up to design and implement improved versions of existing features. I don't see any explanation in your email on how this should have been implemented in your opinion, but maybe you have something in mind?

Jehan