Re: [Gimp-gui] Vertical text alignment

Hi!

On 2018-10-16 14:56, Gregorio Grasselli via gimp-gui-list wrote:
Hi,
congratulations for all the improvements in 2.10! I've been long
waiting for them. I hope plugins will soon be available for this
version too.

I would like to suggest an improvement in usability.

VERTICAL TEXT ALIGNMENT:
When inserting a new text, the cursor center aka the point you click
corresponds to the UPPER LEFT CORNER in the text box. This means you
can't know WHERE THE BOTTOM LINE OF THE TEXT WILL BE, because it
depends from the font size. And the cursor gives NO INFO about the
bottom line.
I don't think I'm wrong when I say that when you insert a text, in
most cases you first care about where the bottom line is, not the
upper one.

I don't think you are right when you say that it is "most cases". But I definitely agree this is a very valid case. ;-)

It simply depends on the image, the purpose, etc. Sometimes you want the top-left, sometimes bottom-right, other times top-left/bottom-right, or sometimes you want to center your text on a position, or one of the border center, etc. So yeah the feature to be able to decide which is the expected fixed point is definitely an interesting feature. I use this a lot in Scribus where you can choose the basepoint (that's how they call it) for any object. See: https://wiki.scribus.net/canvas/File:Properties_xyz_v1331.jpg I would personally even add 4 possible basepoints, at the center of each borders.

So yeah having this would be helpful. Just changing the basepoint would not though IMO, since from experience, I don't agree with the assertion that there is a "most case".

I suggest to create a new feature request about this: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gimp/issues The contributor who implemented the vertical text is quite active, so he may be interested at implementing the basepoint concept for text layers (or someone else, we are welcoming any good improvements).

Jehan

The current setting means that, FOR EVERY TEXT LAYER I CREATE, I have
to move it to the correct position in a second moment. It would be
much better if the cursor told me WHERE THE BOTTOM LINE WILL BE, or at
least if I could choose for it to behave like this.
Another issue with the upper left point comes when I RESIZE THE TEXT.
By reducing the size, the text GOES UP; by increasing the size, the
text GOES DOWN. As a result, I always have to MOVE IT BACK to the
correct alignment.

Thank you,
Gregorio
ᐧ