Re: [Gimp-gui] Oncanvas brush settings

Hello Michal,

On 2018-02-18 20:32, Michal Vašut wrote:
Hello, you've already talked here about oncanvas dialogs and this
could be considered also the way how to improve Gimp workflow via
oncanvas settings. Could you consider implementing oncanvas brush
settings (size, angle, force and hardness) similar to Blender (and
Photoshop). The way it is now is good for beginers (easy to find), but
too slow for more advanced users (need every time to leave canvas and
find designated input) Yes, you can use shortcuts '[' and ']' (or set
new), but that is also slow (when increasing / decreasing with step of
1) or inacurate (when inc / dec with step of 10).

For those not familiar with Blender way of changing brush settings on
canvas take a look here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvVcOz30cNQ
[1]
or Photoshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EyqSqNreYA [2]

Thanks for considering it or possible discussion.

Yes this has been discussed, and I am actually planning to work on this after 2.10 release. I have a few ideas myself.
Regards,

Jehan

P.S.: this question is more on-topic and better suited than your previous email, so thanks for this. :-)

Also I want to note that if we were to be forbidden to work on what *we* think is important *for us*, like animation, then this feature may never come (well not true: it may come, but for sure not coded by me then). So you see how important can be a feature that you may judge not important as "animation", even though indirectly, since it could bring you other features such as on-canvas brush settings, that you apparently judge this time important.

So yes deciding for what feature is or is not important is not just a binary 0/1 thing. :p I see GIMP as a "whole", not feature per feature, and I am happy to see other developers also add features even sometimes when we never use them.

Michal

Links:
------
[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvVcOz30cNQ