Re: [Gimp-gui] UI also for nonexperts would be helpful

Hi,

On 2017-02-19 21:08, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 11:04 PM, Jehan wrote:

Jehan, please actually do that with 1px brush for Paintbrush and for
Pencil. Then zoom in and check what size the Paintrbush's stroke
actually is :)

I don't understand what I am supposed to see.

http://i.imgur.com/uLlZk1u.png

Top line is Paintbrush.

Bottom line is Pencil.

All 1px large as per settings. Hardness 100%. Dynamics off.

Well, so that's what I am saying. That's how paintbrush tool works. If you draw in between 2 pixels, it will just draw on both pixels becauseā€¦ well you can't draw in-between 2 pixels (or like drawing 2 half pixels)! That's the nature of pixels of being the smallest non-breakable elements in a raster image, as I said (there is no half-pixel concept). The paintbrush is this kind of tool where it interpolates, and that allows smooth-looking lines from afar. But that's indeed not ideal if you want to work on pixel precision.

For what the first email originally asked for, the "pencil" tool is more adapted: it draws always on 1 pixel (for a 1-pixel brush). So that's quite adapted to the request. And your screenshot shows it well. But from afar, that can make some harsh lines (as soon as you do diagonal or non-straight lines, you'd see it).

That's just 2 different tools for 2 different use cases.
In any case, as a conclusion, yes it is possible to work on pixel precision, and for this, pencil is probably the best choice. Your screenshot agrees with me IMO. :-)

Jehan

P.S.: it is actually possible with the paintbrush to do 1px lines, just as for pencil. But you'd have to click exactly in the middle of a pixel. Of course, that's just for being picky, I'm not saying that's a friendly usage. :P Just use pencil when you want to make sure you draw only exactly a single pixel, and that's it!

Alex