Re: [Gimp-gui] What is your opinion on on-canvas dialogs?

Hi!

On 2017-12-22 12:37, Ell via gimp-gui-list wrote:
On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:47:54 -0500
Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

1. The blend tool has an on-canvas GUI, but the angle at which the
blend is being drawn isn't shown in the on-canvas GUI and also not
shown in the status bar. This makes it a bit difficult to draw a
gradient at a given prechosen angle.

This definitely makes sense to show angle and distance in status bar. I already implemented something similar a few months ago for all paint tools (when in straight line mode, i.e. shift-clicking), following a similar standard as the measure tool status information.

So I just implemented it for the gradient tool as well (I factorized into a single function so that Blend, Paint and Measure tools use the same code).

I know it's not quite it, but since commit
984ed6cefda5df921777c8530d4ea8f51a52977c from today, constrained line
angles respect the canvas's rotation angle and flip mode.  In other
words, you can rotate the canvas to the desired angle, and press Ctrl
while dragging an endpoint to create a horizontal line (which, in
actuality, has the same angle as the canvas.)

Maybe that's a bit far fetched, but what if you wanted to take the canvas angle into account? Like currently we can constrain only within 15°. I could imagine some who would want to obtain any angle precisely by rotating the canvas first. Like you rotate the canvas by 5° exactly and you can get a 20° rotation with paint tools, gradient, etc. You can even get any random angle (18.3° or whatever!).

Jehan

--
Ell