Re: [Gimp-gui] gimp-gui-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

On 2016-09-28 15:44, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Jehan wrote:

Also, shouldn't we just have the Paths Layers within the Layers
dialog, then provide "Layer type" option to choose what type of layer
to add through that pop-up dialog.

Paths are not layers, neither in the code nor conceptually

This is extremely arguable :) Because vector layers, you know :)

Yeah I just made a second email where I came back on this sentence. Simply the way we currently handle them in GIMP is like one single vector object. A paths layer would mean IMO more like a way to group several separate vector objects (which you could stroke, select and move individually).

Also they are always above the pixels right now. Ordering a paths under a "pixel layer" means nothing currently (though it easily could of course). It's just not the same conceptual level in our code.

But yeah I agree so you can erase my previous sentence: these could be put on the same level if we put the effort into it.

Jehan

Alex