Re: [Gimp-gui] Toolbox Groups

Im not sure if I posted this to the group.

> This is an interesting idea, but I wonder if we can't do better than this. It does not feel that efficient to me to basically have submenus on tools.

> I'm wondering if some better user experience cannot be achieved to deal with the fact that GIMP has more and more tools (*), so now I'm waiting from inputs from you all. :-)
>
> Jehan
>
> (*) Of course one such idea could be to get rid of some tools, like I wish it were possible with the Unified Transform Tool (replacing other transform tools) if we could get better controls there!

The unified transform tool is coming and could replace most of the other tools.  It is a great tool but it does not replace the flip tool, and the move tool(I don't think), or the cage tool.  Thus even if the user decides they don't want to see the tool or the devs pull it out, there still would be a use to group the transform tool.

In my case I hide a lot of the toolbox, but there always comes a time when I need to pull out a tool that I have hidden. For example the select by color tool.  It is rare that the fuzzy selection tool can't do what I want and need to select all the same color but there are times.  The same goes with the stamp toll vs the heal tool, don't always need the heal tool but it is still a good tool to have around.  Not to mention all the color tools and the GEGL tools, I don't ever use them but that's not to say that I won't ever find a use for them.  Currently GIMP hides them by default, this is because that would be way too many tools.  If they were grouped then they could be brought out making them more visible.  Im sure there are users who don't even know they exist.

This is why I purpose that similar tools be grouped together.  If not by default then let the user decide whether they want to group tools.

--
Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On 10/15/15, Andrew Pullins  wrote:

> To improve user experience I propose toolbox groups. Attached is an
> image showing how this could be done. In Preferences > Toolbox there
> would be a new folder button to add folder groups. Use the up and down
> arrows or Drag tool into folders to add them to groups.  when tools
> are selected they are displayed at the top of the tool group(in the
> Toolbox not the group menu). This feature would go nicely with the
> Toolbox Spacer feature request.

I'm afraid that this is another band-aid request.

It's true that the amount of tools keeps increasing. But many tools
could be effectively combined into one, e.g.:

1) Selection tools (we had a failed GSoC project on that).
2) Cage transform and N-Point tools.

Also, we already have Universal Transform Tool that could completely
replace standalone transformation tools, if it was given ability to
define exact transform values (there has been a lot of argument about
that in the past).

So, again, let's not go for band-aids as long as we can, please.

Alex