Re: [Gimp-gui] Improving Export

On 10/12/2015 06:07 PM, Jehan wrote:

In the proposed export dialog, will there be a place to choose the

Just making sure this is clear. Workgroups are a public brainstorming of
what will become GIMP. There is no "proposed" dialog yet, and we can't
say what "will be". We have barely started discussing this improvement.

OK, then I'm proposing that there should be a way to choose the precision of the exported image, as otherwise the user will have to change the precision of the layer stack in order to export the image at the desired precision.

precision for the exported file? For example, when exporting an image
file from a 32-bit floating point xcf layer stack:

* jpegs can be exported at 8-bit integer
* pngs can be exported as 8-bit or 16-bit integer
* tiffs can be exported as 8-bit integer, 16-bit integer or floating
point, 32-bit integer or floating point, etc
* I'm not sure what all the export precision options are for OpenEXR
images, but there's many more than one
* etc for other file formats

As exporting to a lower precision is likely to invoke the dither
dialog, it would be nice to be able to set global dither preferences,
including "No, never dither upon changing the precision and don't ever
show the dither dialog".

All these are filetype-specific options, and therefore will not be
discussed in this spec. Filetype-specific options will stay handled as
filetype handler plugins.

I'm not sure how the dither dialog is a filetype-specific option. It's a rdialog that pops up whenever the user changes precision of the xcf file, and there's no way to permanently dismiss it. This is a useability issue that affects exporting an image (as well as any other reason a user might have for changing precision).

What we "may" change within this spec is how we will handle filetype
specific options. The current logic is to let plugins fully manage these
by constructing their own UI. The consequence is that exporting files is
usually a 2 popup steps: the first (generic) dialog, then a second
dialog (filetype specific options).
This would be worth improving by having filetype handler plugin only
advertize their options to GIMP core so that we could dynamically
construct filetype-specific options within the main dialog.

But the content of these specific options is out of scope from current
discussion.

In the proposed export dialog, will there be a way to set a default
for exporting metadata in tiffs and other file formats?

Metadata on the other hand can indeed maybe be handled partly in the
spec since they are used across image formats. Well this would have to
be thought about.

* For example, right now the tiff export dialog has an advanced menu,
that's closed by default, that defaults to exporting all the metadata
that's associated with the xcf layer stack.

* There are use cases for exporting all of the metadata, some of the
metadata, and none of the metadata.

* Currently the user has to click open the advanced dialog and change
the metadata export settings as desired, and then do it all again the
next time GIMP is opened.

Here the problem is more generic than just metadata: the problem is that
chosen export options are not kept across GIMP restart. This is
something I thought about too, though I forgot to add this into the wiki.

Some of the export dialogs do allow to save preferences. The tiff export dialog doesn't.

This said, the "preset" idea is even an advanced version of saving
option values, as you could keep several (named) sets of option values.

It would be nice if users could set up presets, or "metadata templates" based on the metadata they really want to export.

For example, when I upload photographic images to the web, first I use exiftool to strip out all the metadata, including any embedded sRGB profile, and then I use exiftool to embed just copyright information metadata, plus a V2 sRGB profile.

When exporting sRGB images for use as part of a web design element, the user probably doesn't want to embed an sRGB profile. But maybe they do want to embed copyright information, depending on the particular design element.

Most users aren't going to resort to using a command line tool for removing old metadata and embedding new metadata and maybe a V2 sRGB profile. So this seems like a natural fit for user-saved templates that could be applied during export.

If this is the wrong place to mention templates for metadata and embedded ICC profiles in exported images, my apologies!

* It would really be nice to be able to save metadata and other export
presets, to avoid having to make the same choices every time an image
is exported from GIMP.

Several suggestions regarding the export dialog were made in an
earlier thread:
http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Useability-enhancement-request-unified-expanded-file-export-dialog-td44924.html

I'll read this later. This said, just skimming through the first email,
I see you are also mixing filetype-specific and generic options. So for
reminder, this spec will only discuss generic options (working across
file types) as well as the way to manage specific options (without going
into their contents).

Several people offered a diverse set of suggestions. I haven't reread the thread to see what might count as filetype vs generic options. But some of the suggestions are already in the wireframe.

All supported formats being handled as plugins and not in the core of
the codebase is — I believe — an important feature since it allows to
add new format support very easily.

Elle