Re: [Gimp-gui] Tool Options - proposal to new ordering of features

On Sun, Nov 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM, Jehan <jehan girinstud io> wrote:
Hi,

On 2015-11-07 01:15, Americo Gobbo wrote:
The ordering approach is only to Paintbrush and Pencil tool. They are
the most utilized on my flows to paint.

The problem with this proposition is that — as you say yourself — these are adapted to your own workflow. I'm sure we can find dozens of workflows where people would say they want this or that option at the top of the dock. And in the end, we won't be able to find a consensus.

Yes, is my workflow to paint... well, I think that this approach is very useful on the painting but might interesting to other areas. My workflow... but here I am talking about a painting flow... would be very pretentious talk by all ;-)

My impression was always that this order is addition of features on the time. For example... the jitter can be dependent of dynamics... but now this is not clear in this order.
Another feature... the incremental is far of opacity... but they have a great relationship.
My proposal... is to discuss the current order also to photographers.

Moreover there is also the force of habits. This is not a good reason to not change things, don't misunderstand, but it becomes one if there is no good reason to change them (like absence of consensus), especially when the proposition is to change so much.

Exact! But we need understand the main function or main reason of this gimp-ui mailing list... perhaps is to talk over all... is the will to see a good app, with a good ui to painters and to the photographers.

I feel that the right proposition would not be a reorder, but rather either update the GUI for everyone to create one own's order, or a completely different GUI if anyone had a great proposition some day for a better tool option's GUI.

Now I may be wrong.
But I just really feel this proposal is too closely related to your personal workflow.

The current order is perhaps a vision of one flow or area?
If yes, we have a problem, if not, we have also a problem... :-) the current order need a good discussion...

Jehan