Re: [Gimp-gui] gimp-gui-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 8

Hi,

On 2015-12-16 22:21, Andrew Pullins wrote:
Why not keep the default as it is today.  When you click the new layer
button it opens the new layer dialog, When you shift-click new layer
it makes a new layer with the previously selected options.  But we
make one little change to the dialog. At the very bottom of the screen
make a check box that gives the user the ability to switch the
functionality them selves.  the label could read something like "check
to not see this dialog.  Shift-Click new layer button to get to this
dialog"... I know its wordy but this would give the user control over
their app, and if they don't like it they can uncheck it the next time
they open it.

Also a slight change on Shift-Clicking to add a layer with previous
options/Clicking new layer if the check box is checked.  When you just
make a layer with the previous options the focus should change to
editing the layers name as if the user were to double click on the
layer, and when they click anywere else or hit esc the edit layer name
would lose focus.  This way you don't have to bring up the new layer
dialog or double click the new layer to rename it but you can just
start typing to name the layer.

This way users who are new can discover this dialog more easily, users
who are used to it do not have the feature taken away from them, and
advanced users can have it their way as well.  I think that this is
more GIMP like. Giving the user the power over their UI instead of
forcing them to use one workflow.

Not my ideal UI, but it could make for an acceptable in-between as long as there is no customizable UI, I guess.

Jehan