Re: [Gimp-gui] gimp-gui-list Digest, Vol 3, Issue 8

On Tue, 2015-12-15 at 15:52 +0100, Jehan wrote:
[...]

We ended up in just a few emails showing how diverse the user base
and habits are, and that all 4 fill types are used. [...]

Because of this problem, we can't just decide to create actions or
buttons for specific combinations because of this point 2/. Because
what is your usual fill type is not your neighbour's. Or we should
create 4 new buttons/actions, and then the UI will end up at some
point cluttered with hundreds of buttons.

It would be fabulous to have a scriptable UI, where people could add a
button or could even override the defaults on a click or shift click.
But GIMP isn't written in that way today.

An interface with fewer buttons on the docks, but with the last one
being a [+] button, which brought up a list of buttons you could add
(ideally letting you choose values too) might work better.

There were propositions of inverting the click and shift-click (click
would create directly a layer of your last type and shift-click open
the dialog), like in the linked dialog.
[...]
. Simon Budig explained that it was
actually done this way for a while, since the shift-click is not
easily discoverable:

A compromise there is to bring up the dialogue only the first time, and
to include text on it (ugh) "use shift-click to bring up this dialogue
next time". Having said that, when I do use layers, I tend to use a mix
of layer types.

It makes sense that the most discoverable UI should be the one to do
the
more, and later users learn progressively optimized UI logics to
improve
their workflow. For all theses reasons, the *default* UI seems
acceptable.

Agreed.

Liam

--