Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] How to compile a vala GIMP plugin on Windows pc?

To be clear, I don't speak for gimp, haven't worked on it even, but did look into Windows programming for a
possible job during a dry spell, and I'd rather code in COBOL with vi. So, sorry the intent was wasted.
:-)BillAI:http://phobrain.com/pr/home/view.html
-------- Original message --------From: Christopher Curtis via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list gnome
org> Date: 1/3/21  6:48 PM  (GMT-08:00) To: gimp-developer <gimp-developer-list gnome org> Subject: Re:
[Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] How to compile a vala GIMP plugin
  on Windows pc? These are incredibly unhelpful responses.It is fine to evangelize if you are also providing
useful information, butone cannot simultaneously bemoan the lack of developers for a particularplatform and
also chastise those developing on that platform.To the original questioner, I would suggest following
Jernej's advice. I,unfortunately, don't regularly use Windows or Vala, but there are claims ofVala support in
2.99.4 so someone must have had some success. I do have aWindows 10 machine that I installed Debian on using
WSL2 (I may have eveninstalled it from the Microsoft Store) - that may be an easier solutionthan installing
MSys2, but I cannot say authoritatively. If nothing else,it may be a better first step to ensure you can
build the plugin onGIMP's primary development environment, then try it with MSys2.If you can document your
Windows Vala Plugin build process in the Wiki thatwould be even better. This may be useful to get
started:https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/WindowsIdeally, GIMP would provide a Windows SDK that
plugins could be builtagainst, but I don't know if anyone has considered that. It's quitepossible that with
GObject introspection simply installing the GIMPexecutable provides that function and you only need a Vala
compiler tocompile the Vala code (I don't know how linking works in that case, but itsounds nice).ChrisOn
Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM Bill Ross via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list gnome org> wrote:> If you
can find any online docs on Windows programming, that should> finish convincing you.>> Bill>> On 1/3/21 12:36
PM, Ruben Safir wrote:> > Save yourself a life time of trouble and switch ovr the a GNU system now> -->
Phobrain.com> _______________________________________________> gimp-developer-list mailing list> List
address:    gimp-developer-list gnome org> List membership:>
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list> List archives:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list>_______________________________________________gimp-developer-list