Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] How to compile a vala GIMP plugin on Windows pc?

These are incredibly unhelpful responses.

It is fine to evangelize if you are also providing useful information, but
one cannot simultaneously bemoan the lack of developers for a particular
platform and also chastise those developing on that platform.

To the original questioner, I would suggest following Jernej's advice. I,
unfortunately, don't regularly use Windows or Vala, but there are claims of
Vala support in 2.99.4 so someone must have had some success. I do have a
Windows 10 machine that I installed Debian on using WSL2 (I may have even
installed it from the Microsoft Store) - that may be an easier solution
than installing MSys2, but I cannot say authoritatively. If nothing else,
it may be a better first step to ensure you can build the plugin on
GIMP's primary development environment, then try it with MSys2.

If you can document your Windows Vala Plugin build process in the Wiki that
would be even better. This may be useful to get started:
https://wiki.gimp.org/wiki/Hacking:Building/Windows

Ideally, GIMP would provide a Windows SDK that plugins could be built
against, but I don't know if anyone has considered that. It's quite
possible that with GObject introspection simply installing the GIMP
executable provides that function and you only need a Vala compiler to
compile the Vala code (I don't know how linking works in that case, but it
sounds nice).

Chris

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 5:52 PM Bill Ross via gimp-developer-list <