Re: [Gimp-developer] Issue building Gimp from GIT

On 7/4/19 2:11 AM, Ell wrote:
On July 4, 2019 4:59:10 AM GMT+02:00, "Steven P. Ulrick via gimp-developer-list" <gimp-developer-list gnome org> wrote:
>Hello, Everyone
>
>I am running Fedora 30 and attempting to build, install & eventually
>run
>GIMP from GIT. It builds & installs without error. But when I attempt
>run it I get the following:
>
>[steve@afolkey2 bin]$ ./gimp-2.99
>./gimp-2.99: error while loading shared libraries: libjson-c.so <http://libjson-c.so>.2:
>cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
>
>Obviously the error itself makes perfect sense. Fedora 30 has
>libjson-c.so <http://libjson-c.so>.4, not libjson-c.so <http://libjson-c.so>.2
>
>So the question is, why does GIMP compile and install with
>libjson-c.so <http://libjson-c.so>.2 not installed, but it won't run. I would assume that if
>file that GIMP requires if it is not going to crash is not present,
>that
>GIMP would not compile. Also, what can I do to get this to work.

One of GIMP's dependencies was built against an older version of json-c. Probably libmypaint, but you can find out using lddtree. If you've built that dependency yourself as well (which is likely, otherwise we'd be hearing a lot more about it :) you need to rebuild it.

Yeah, under Fedora 27, I had to compile libmypaint from source to get GIMP from GIT to build. Forgot all about it... Rebuilding now, having made the appropriate changes to get the non-F30 version of libmypaint out of the way. We'll see what happens.

The result is that the Fedora 30 version of GIMP starts perfectly. The version from GIT, recompiled following a "make distclean", does not work. It crashes with the same error.