[Gimp-developer] AI algorithms in GIMP

Dear devs,

I have recently joined the mailing list because I wanted to contribute my
two pennies to GIMP development (since I use it for my work). I had a look
at the proposed plan for GIMP and wondered if people would be interested in
including some popular AI algorithms for several image processing tasks.

I would be interested in writing implementations of some of these
algorithms into gimp if someone can commit to writing a frontend/GUI for it.

It would be great if we can make a list of these algorithms to implement
and rank them according to priority.

As for my background, I am a theoretical physicist making simulations for
HPCs (in C/C++) and interpreting their data (in Python). I have a
reasonable workstation to train neural nets, if necessary. Be warned that I
have never written a GUI software in my life and I don't know the GIMP
codebase at all. I envision these to be standalone scripts which can be
called in from the GIMP interface.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheerio,
Maitraya.

Senior Research Fellow
Center for Excellence in Space Sciences India
Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Kolkata