[Gimp-developer] Publication for level adjustment in app/gegl/gimplevelsconfig.c:gimp_levels_config_stretch_channel

Hi,

I'm a computer scientist from Kiel, Germany, and I currently work on a scientific image processing tool.

I found the automatic level adjustment in GIMP to be really useful, so I looked at the code, hoping to find some explanation on how it works.

The code in app/gegl/gimplevelsconfig.c seems to be rather simple, but lacks a reference. Who introduced this piece of code? I could track it back to a refactor commit by Michael Natterer, 17 years ago (September 4th, 2002)[1], but then I'm lost.

I'm really curious where this simple yet powerful algorithm comes from and I'm looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,
Martin Schröder

[1] Commit ID 163a3f41550bb0eff295324ca92cb1a254e8297c

--
Simon-Martin Schröder
Department of Computer Science | Multimedia Information Processing Group