Re: [Gimp-developer] RAW data enquiry

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM Tyler Prior <t prior0220161 arts ac uk> wrote:

Hello,

My name is Tyler Prior. I’m a digital artist focusing on the dualities of data and the links that can be
drawn from them on both personal and socio-political topics.

I’m trying to write a programme where I can show the live changes of RAW data when it is simultaneously
experienced as both .wav and .raw (a methodically similar example would be data-bending). However, I can’t
find a way to interpret RAW data as an image the same way in which both GIMP and Photoshop does (open ->
raw image data -> set pixel dimensions - see example).

I'm interested in this function in particular: `raw_load_gray()` that parses RAW 8 bit data
https://github.com/GNOME/gimp/blob/e09e563a70fef5d7dd55e5e8d0e280348f1ef9d4/plug-ins/common/file-raw-data.c#L855
 do you have comment or eresources for the thinking behind the function?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Not replying to your question; since I do not know these parts of the
GIMP code, but you might have fun experimenting with an expriment by
Amir Hassan, soundfumble. where you can start out with images/photos
used as "glitch" audio, that gets filtered and manipulated live in
GIMP. You might have to use an older version of GIMP to make it work.

Some links:

http://log.metalab.at/post/257272092/Live-sound-generation-with-Gimp-http-github
https://github.com/kallaballa/SoundFumble

/pippin