Re: [Gimp-developer] Alexandre Prokoudine attacks on GIMP critics around the Web

On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 6:25 PM Niccolo Brogi <nkkollaw gmail com> wrote:

Nope.

Everything started because I was called a "backseat viewer", and therefore
not allowed to say that scheduled releases are good. After that I was
replying to that attitude, and not about whether rolling releases are
better (which I had an extremely open mind about).

I'm afraid you are conflating "criticism" with "purposedly being a true
pain in the neck".

If people are not happy with unsheduled releases, I would (naively?) expect
them to begin with stating that they think this is wrong and then, politely
or not so much, asking why that is the case and what is the reason for not
switching to rolling. You never really asked. You started the conversation
with a claim that we should pay attention to users (like we don't, contrary
to a mountain of evidence) and that we tell them to f*** off. What did you
expect to happen next?

(For the record, I personally would prefer the rolling model for GIMP, but
it is currently not quite realistic. Besides, so far, most people who spoke
up seem to be happy with the new release model where new things get ported
to the stable branch and then released every month or two.)

In almost a week of this ongoing "conversation" you still haven't asked why
we don't do rolling and scheduled releases. This is exactly how much
constructive your "criticism" is. And I'm still willing to explain why,
publicly.

I'm only replying to this, because here you are again pretending that we
(or me personally) attack critics. We don't. All that happened here is that
I was sarcastic over yet another case of someone being unnecessarily nasty
to the point of insult.

I don't know how many times I have to repeat it: criticism is welcome and
studied, but insults, shouting, and use of expletives aren't. Please learn
the difference. We cannot have a constructive conversation until you do.

Alex

The message you quoted is way after things started going bad.

As for your comparison with Starbucks, I don't abuse Starbucks employees
and neither I abuse GIMP's staff.

I also don't care about harsh words, I'm not a little snowflake. I just
want to know if GIMP is represented by Alexandre like he implies, and if
the GIMP team is OK with attacking newbies and critics of GIMP saying
they're backseat drivers that are not worth listening to and not worth
explaining things.

I'm not the only one who shares the view that in GIMP there is this
attitude of "if you didn't make it, you're not allowed to talk bad about
it".

If that's the culture at GIMP, I'm not gonna cry. Just say it.