Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP branched: new stable branch gimp-2-10

On 22 May 2018, at 16:01, Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com> wrote:

There is another issue which was raised these days by GTK+ developers who
discussed GIMP port: apparently GTK+3.99 (to become GTK+4) has currently no
macOS backend! Basically that means we'd lose GIMP on macOS. And worse,
they have (nearly or none at all?) no developers working on this, so it's
not even sure when or if it will come.

The macOS backend been fully removed in 3.99??

Actually even GTK+3 macOS port is bad but at least there is something. The
Windows backend on GTK+3 is bad too (still according to GTK+ devs) but is
more tested than Windows backend.

I worked on the GTK+3 macOS port in the early beginning of GTK+3. I don’t know how much work went into it
after that, I did get the impression that it got commits and maintenance regularly.

I wasn’t really looking forward to the GTK+3 port because of this and the fact that the entire backend
appears to have been removed doesn’t really make it better :(  On the other hand, it should probably be much
easier to port GTK+3/4 to macOS compared to GTK+2.

regards,

-kris.