Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP branched: new stable branch gimp-2-10

Hi All,

On 05/20/2018 05:23 PM, Elle Stone wrote:
On 05/20/2018 04:31 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
On Sun, 2018-05-20 at 21:27 +0200, Carmelo DrRaw wrote:
What is the recommended branch for nightly development snapshots?

Should one provide snapshots for both master and gimp-2-10?

That depends on what you want or what these snapshots are for:

gimp-2-10 is where 2.10.x releases are made from.

master is bleeding edge.

Is current git master more or less stable for actual use? For context, I started using GIMP-2.9 back in 2013 and from my point of view it was already sufficiently stable. I don't mind the occasional crash (well, assuming the crash doesn't destroy XCF files that aren't actually open for editing).

Regarding which branch to use for editing (as opposed to which branch(es) to provide for users to choose from), over on the gimp-gui mailing list Jehan had this to say about the new gimp git master branch, post-merging with the gtk+3 branch:

A note: are you actually planning on working with master? Even though
for the last few years, master was absolutely production-usable, this is
not the case with new master with GTK+3.

A lot of stuff is broken on the GTK+3 port. As I write this, I am
working on the icon themes for instance which are completely broken.
This is not production-ready. If you want a moving target while still
stay usable, build "gimp-2-10" branch (which is old master). I predict
it will still stay quite active, much more than what the "gimp-2-8"
branch used to be since we will continue to backport features when
possible/not too hard.
I had asked on the gimp-gui mailing list about some issues with the GTK+3/"new git" branch GTK+3 user interface. Even apart from other stuff that might be broken, the current git GIMP master GTK+3 interface is not very nice to use, at least not as it appears on my computer. The thread is here, if anyone is interested:

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-gui-list/2018-May/thread.html
and click on the thread "gimp git master branch user interface".

Personally I've decided to hold off switching to the "new git/GTK+3" branch and stick with the 2.10 branch, at least until the user interface issues are resolved.

I guess changing toolkits is a necessary evil (eg QT4 to QT5, GTK+2 to GTK+3 with GTK+4 already in the wings . . . ). But it uses up a lot of developer time and energy, and the benefits of changing toolkits to the actual purposes for which we use editing software seem to me to be a bit iffy.

For a very insightful developer perspective on a comparable change in toolkits, when Krita went from QT4 to QT5, see this link:

https://valdyas.org/fading/software/krita-3-0/

Best,
Elle