Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP branched: new stable branch gimp-2-10

On 05/21/2018 11:13 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:
Hi!,

Hi Jehan and all,

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 3:32 PM, Elle Stone <ellestone ninedegreesbelow com>

<snip>

I guess changing toolkits is a necessary evil (eg QT4 to QT5, GTK+2 to
GTK+3 with GTK+4 already in the wings . . . ). But it uses up a lot of
developer time and energy, and the benefits of changing toolkits to the
actual purposes for which we use editing software seem to me to be a bit
iffy.

Just to be clear, the toolkit update here is not *just* a necessary evil.
It will also be totally awesome, even feature-wise! Without doing much, the
differences are already dramatically awesome IMO, like the simple fact that
input devices (read: graphics tablet) don't have to be activated manually,
nor plugged before running GIMP (hotplug support), etc.
Then we'll be able to add touch support (zoom, pan, rotation of canvas with
fingers).
And much more. This is very exciting.
In any case, the benefits are definitely not "iffy".

Good to know!

Simply to get there, we have to pass through an "unstable" phase, that's
all there is to it. The old master (which became 2.10) has had this phase
too, I can definitely tell so. When I started contributed, back in 2012, it
was absolutely unusable for daily use as well (though you say you were
already using the master build daily back in 2013, but maybe you are less
demanding as us :P). Not only unstable, but also slow as hell. Absolutely
impossible to use for painting.

Back in 2012/2013 I was editing photographs. So the speed of painting only affected painting on a layer mask, which indeed was slooooow.

For photographic editing GIMP-2.9 was already useable even in middle-late 2012, at least it was after I somehow managed ("somehow" meaning with a *great* deal of help from various GIMP devs) to port the old LCMS plug-in from LCMS1 to LCMS2, which is when and why I started contributing to GIMP development:

http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/no-subject-td28716.html
http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/the-Gimp-lcms-c-plug-in-td34453i20.html

My February 2013 review of The Book of GIMP (https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/book-of-gimp.html) has a sample image processed using GIMP-2.9: https://ninedegreesbelow.com/photography/gimp/bog/rapidly-departing-storm-clouds.jpg - the image was processing using GIMP-2.9's ability to add +4 stops of exposure compensation to a copy of a layer to lighten the ground, and then "paint" the now out-of-gamut sky areas back in to the desired degree of exposure - at the time and maybe even now, as far as I know no other image editor makes this sort of editing possible.

Best,
Elle