Re: [Gimp-developer] Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes

Forgot to CC the mailing list ...

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 2:58 PM, Kristian Rietveld <kris loopnest org> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Carmelo DrRaw <aferrero1975 gmail com> wrote:
There are actually two major things I can offer:
* try to fix OSX-specific bugs - I can compile GIMP from sources, and I know how to run a debugger…

Solving bugs is always welcome! And also help with reproducing bugs.
Regularly Mac-specific bugs are filed without clear reproduction
instructions. Without knowing how to reproduce bugs it is hard to fix
them ...

* help you to set-up an automated packaging of OSX bundles using Travis-CI, in case you are interested. I
have already set-up such mechanism for my own image editing project (PhotoFlow), and it seems to work like
a charm. Dependencies are provided via homebrew. The advantage is that the packaging does not rely on any
specific user, and runs on virtualised systems which increases the security for the final users.

The GIMP DMG package cannot depend on dependencies via homebrew. The
DMG image must be self contained. In the last year I have been working
on a magic Python script that builds GIMP and all its dependencies
from scratch (using jhbuild). Subsequently it validates the build
products and then it packages them as App bundle in a DMG image. This
script produces exactly the same DMG images as we have been releasing
in the last few years. It works fine for 2.8 now and I was in the
process of preparing all necessary commits to upstream it before I had
to attend to some matters in real life. I plan to finish this work
soon and then continue with the adaptations necessary to build 2.10
releases.

Now that you mention Travis-CI, I was wondering if you have access to
a macOS build server? One limitation is that I currently have to use
my old Mac laptop to produce these builds. Having access to a build
server would greatly simplify this process. Also, with the script that
has been written it should not be hard to simply run it nightly or
weekly to produce regular builds.

regards,

-kris.