Re: [Gimp-developer] Cage transform and Warp transform

Hi!

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 11/28/2017 10:32 AM, Jehan Pagès wrote:

Hi!

On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:

I wanted to somewhat reshape some curved lines in a drawing, and tried
the
Cage transform, which I remember using a long time ago. After selecting
the
points, it took a long time for the cage transform to calculate the cage.
But when trying to move a point on the cage, nothing happened. During all
of
this calculating plus "nothing happened", these lines were printed over
and
over to the terminal:

(gimp-2.9:30657): GEGL-CRITICAL **: gegl_buffer_get: assertion
'GEGL_IS_BUFFER (buffer)' failed

Is there a bug?

Well if it doesn't work and if there is a GEGL-critical, yes there is
definitely a bug. ;-)
You should run gimp with --gtk-g-fatal-warnings to force it to crash
when it gets a warning. Doing this inside gdb will get you a
stacktrace which led to this warning so that you can copy-paste it in
a bug report. :-)

Hi Jehan,

What is the actual command to type to get GIMP to run with
--gtk-g-fatal-warnings? I kept getting terminal output that indicated that
GIMP couldn't find the file "--gtk-g-fatal-warnings".

The command is:
$ gimp-2.9 --gtk-g-fatal-warnings

GIMP will crash as soon as it gets any warning.

To run this into gdb, you run first:
$ gdb gimp-2.9
Then inside gdb prompt:
(gdb) run --gtk-g-fatal-warnings

Though in this case it really doesn't matter as I haven't been able to
produce the same terminal output as before. Sorry for the noise!

I still think I'm not doing something correctly with Cage transform. But as
Warp worked perfectly for the task at hand, I'm very glad that the cage
transform didn't work as expected, because otherwise I wouldn't have tried
the Warp tool.

Well maybe you are not using cage transform tool correctly. Yet even
though no critical warnings are meant to happen! That is a definite
bug.
Also even if you were not using it correctly, then it would mean there
may be a design flaw. Cage tool should not be that complicated to
operate.

Jehan, is there any possibility that this warp transform could be made to
work symmetrically, perhaps via the symmetric painting dialog? Or maybe
it
already does, but somehow I did something wrong?

No. The symmetries work for paint tools (children of GimpPaintTool
class), but the warp transform is not a paint tool (I mean, not in our
code; it is derived directly from GimpDrawTool, which is lower level
class).
Of course, in theory, that could be changed. But this is not how it is
implemented currently.

Thanks! for letting me know. I had a feeling the Warp tool wasn't code-wise
related to the Paint tools, but wanted to ask to make sure. Whhether it can
work symmetrically or not, it's a wonderful way to transform portions of an
image.

Yep. Warp is cool indeed. :-)

Jehan

Best,