Re: [Gimp-developer] gcc-7 vs gcc-6

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 09:41:41PM -0500, Carol Spears wrote:
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 6:45 PM, Ken Moffat via gimp-developer-list <
gimp-developer-list gnome org> wrote:

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 04:52:43PM -0500, Elle Stone wrote:
On 11/10/2017 02:42 PM, Carol Spears wrote:
After a couple of catastrophes, I reinstalled my operating system ...
and
eventually rebuilt gimp.

The gcc-7 gimp failed to open with a
    gimp: symbol lookup error: gimp: undefined symbol:
gimp_convert_dither_type_compat_get_type

The gcc-6 gimp works fine.

[...]
I have no idea.  Her post implies that both gcc-6 and gcc-7 versions
are on the same machine, which seems an uncommon approach (assuming
both are the same version and this isn't just to test for gcc
regressions).

Same machine.  Same updated clone for years.

I was also compiling with gimp with gcc-7 successfully before my couple of
catastrophes, so I don't know why it would start to fail with the new os.

I was confused because I read something about compiler problems on
this list, but I wasn't having them.

Sure.

==multiple compilers installed==
My software installer just announces that it is updating what it considers
to be "gcc", copies that binary into the directory of its choice and simply
ignores the previous gcc.  Compiler cruft!  When today started I had
gcc-4 from the installer and gcc-7 which I installed with the "real"
software.
I was thinking about getting gcc-5 just so I would have a complete set.

I am pretty sure that each new number of compiler is a new version,
hence the number.

Nowadays, a new major version each year - and that tends to mean
changes in which version of the c++ standard it supports.

I don't think I am the only person who has more than one version of gcc.

carol

Certainly not, my point was that building a current package with two
different versions of the compiler is unusual : most people install
applications into /usr, a few prefer BSD-style /usr/local.  But to
have both versions available you need to go out of your way to
ensure that the first install is not overwritten by the second.

ĸen
--
Truth, in front of her huge walk-in wardrobe, selected black leather
boots with stiletto heels for such a barefaced truth.