Re: [Gimp-developer] Please migrate to GitHub/CMake

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:31 PM, gregory grey wrote:
Guys, I respect your work and I like Gimp a lot but this

I would like to suggest to migrate to GitHub for version control

No.

is how you end up being a dead project.

GIMP has a copy of its Git repo on GitHub, made by GNOME folks.

https://github.com/GNOME/gimp

There are currently 216 forks of it. Have you _personally_ studied
them at any length? Well, _I_ have. Last November or so I actually sat
down and went through all the forks with actual changes created in the
past 2-3 years. Out of those ca. 200 forks only a handful had actual
changes to look at. And there was pretty much nothing to gain from
those few.

In my experience (that is, closely following GIMP development for the
past 12+ years), people who are motivated to make a positive change
have no problem cloning from git.gnome.org and sending patches. Of
course, that's just _my_ experience. _You_ can run your own study and
come up with different results. I dare you to do so :)

Alex