Re: [Gimp-developer] Proposal for erasing background from an image

On 02/03/17 10:05, Simon Budig wrote:
John Tapsell (johnflux gmail com) wrote:
So to restate this again - I want to know how to change the top layer
$latex src$ so that I can have the maximum possible alpha without changing
the final visual image at all.  I.e. remove as much of the background as
possible from our foreground+background image.
This is what color-to-alpha does. Except that it uses a constant color
for the whole image. It might be interesting to convert this to a gegl
op that takes two input drawable and picks the "background color" from
each corresponding pixel in the background image.

Should be an easy fun hack. Who wants to take it?

Bye,
         Simon

Fun hack, but would it be useful in practice? Do we want the lion to be partially transparent because its hair is more or less the color of the dry grass (with some help from Darwin). Try the two pictures in difference mode, and check all the places that are near black.