Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP development suggestion

You can use the paths tool (hotkey b) to draw a shape, then do a "stroke
path".

You can also make a circular or rectangular selection and drag a colour
into it to fill the selection to make a solid shape.

That said, if you find you are doing this a lot, I recommend Inkscape, as
it's not only easy to make shapes in the manner you are wanting, but also
allows resizing and other modifications without pixelisation/blurring the
results.

Until gimp fully supports vector layers, it will always be a bit of a hack
to get what you want.

Hope it helps.
-C