Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP development- What's the point?

At the last meet I was showing off GIMP, as I often do when asked "what do
you do?" There's the usual ooohing and ahhing as I show what GIMP allows me
to do easily as a designer.

This time, I got a strange comment from a new visitor to our group. He said
"GIMP development? What's the point of that?" in a rather sarcastic tone.

<snip>

The question: "What's the point?" is a curious one.
As a developer in the project, what are your reasons for working on GIMP?
What are your motivations? What do you enjoy most about it?

You made some assumptions about what might have prompted such a question BUT did you actually ask them why
they felt it necessary to ask? I'm sure it would be useful to know the basis for such an opinion,  which
could then be addressed directly.

Kevin