Re: [Gimp-developer] To developers of GIMP: Process or batch editing - Barrel distortion

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 01:10:22AM +0200, Manuel AceƱa wrote:
To developers of GIMP:

*Process or batch editing - Barrel distortion*
I detected something that I think could help significantly large number of
users:

Almost all do photos to documents with the mobile phone, and we also
thought of using a camera installed permanently for it, being much faster
than the scanner table. But we found that the pictures are distorted,
generally convex, whether we do with a smartphone or a traditional camera.

Many smartphone apps include automatic document edge detection, but have
not found any way to correct lens distortion (barrel distortion). This is a
very serious problem when we take pictures of planes, which are
invalidated, or when we want to take pictures of any image that must remain
correctly proportioned.

GIMP itself that corrects barrel distortion quickly and easily using a
filter, but only when a single image editing. Unfortunately, you can not do
that function working in batches, when I think that developers would be
simpler than the batch also included that role, assigning a group of photos
-made with a fixed camera one correction (Example: "Barrel distortion -
Main: - 22 ")

*I request that you make every effort to include this feature among
supported in batch editing.*

*Thank you* for providing such an *excellent program!!!*

See also if the "unpaper" program (found under all main linux distros)
could be useful for your work...

--

Marco Ciampa

 GNU/Linux User #78271