Re: [Gimp-developer] Image viewer for openexr and floating point tiff file formats, and maybe even XCF?

On 12/31/2015 06:11 PM, Liam R. E. Quin wrote:
On Thu, 2015-12-31 at 11:37 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:

1. Open a folder with an image viewer, so that all the image files
in
the folder (well, at least floating point and integer tiffs, openexr
files, pngs, and jpegs; also raw files would be nice) are displayed
by
the image viewer.

Well, I sort of feel silly. I use digiKam for cataloging and tagging image files, and it turns out that digiKam already does display 32-bit floating point tiffs and also displays openexr images, at least it does after doing some updating today, not sure about before.

The exr files display with thumbnails. To have a thumbnail displayed by digiKam for a 32f tiff, the tiff needs to be exported with a thumbnail, which I haven't been doing.

digiKam will also scan for and show Krita 2.9 KRA and GIMP 2.9 XCF files, but none of them have thumbnails to show what might be in the layer stack.

The gnome file manager does this (but may need some thumbnailer
plugins; xcf 2.9 files seem to show up Ok for me but I think it's just
because the thumbnailer isn't checking very carefully!) and so does
gthumb and also eog (eye of gnome). I don't use KDE here.

Does the gnome file manager show thumbnails for GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

Do you have (small file size please) example files that don't work for
you?

One reason why it has taken me awhile to sort through this "how to keep track of XCF files" is that digiKam kept crashing as I tried to scan in folders containing XCF files.

By moving folders with files that crashed digiKam, I was able to identify that the problem XCF files were all saved to disk back in 2013, which not coincidentally is the last time that I tried to scan XCF files using digiKam.

Resaving the problem XCF files using GIMP 2.9 from today, they don't crash digiKam. So whatever the problem was, it isn't a problem any more.

Now if only digiKam could display thumbnails for XCF files, that would be wonderful.

Well, actually checking, digiKam can display thumbnails for GIMP 2.8 XCF files, but not for GIMP 2.9 XCF files.

Elle