[Gimp-developer] Export instead save directly

Hello,
I have a little problem with the 2.8.16 version of Gimp. I'm not really so clear that other file formats can not be saved directly. I save my photos like in PNG and it must for this version export to PNG. What is this with the export? I find extremely impractical. Therefore, I will probably still to work with the 2.6.11 version on.
For this reason I will Gimp 2.8.16 uninstalled.